The birth of your child should be cause for celebration. What can and should be one of the happiest days for your life can become one of the worst if your child is harmed during birth due to medical malpractice. If this happens to you and your loved ones in Phoenix, Arizona, contact the birth injury lawyers at Begam Marks & Traulsen, P.A. today.
Medical Errors that Lead to Birth Injuries
Tragically, there are many types of medical errors that may occur during pregnancy or the birthing process due to the negligence of obstetricians, gynecologists, nurses, hospitals, and other medical professionals, including:
- Delivery errors
- Failure to perform an emergency C-section
- Failure to note cephalopelvic disproportion (cpd) and perform a C-section
- Failure to monitor fetal development and large birth weight
- Failure to monitor fetal distress or lack of oxygen during delivery
- Failure to correct an umbilical cord, which results in a fetus being choked
- Failure to address dystocia, prolonged labor or abnormal birthing presentation
- Failure to account for prematurity
- Forceps or medical instrument injuries
- Negligent vacuum extraction
Understanding Medical Malpractice and Birth Injuries in Arizona
All medical professionals, including doctors, surgeons, nurses, and hospitals, have a duty to provide patients with the standard of care that is generally accepted in the medical community. When an act or omission by a healthcare provider falls below the standard of care and causes injury or death to the mother or baby, a case for medical malpractice will exist.
Common Types of Birth Injuries
Birth injuries can be caused by errors during pregnancy or delivery. In many cases, birth injuries are preventable. They can range from minor injuries, such as bruising because of negligent use of forceps, to serious injuries, such as brain injury caused by negligent forceps use. Common birth injuries consist of:
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Nerve damage
- Erb’s palsy
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Brachial palsy
- Facial paralysis
- Speech impediments
- Learning disabilities
- Fractures and broken bones
- Skeletal deformities
Making Your Birth Injury Case in Phoenix
Birth injury and other malpractice cases require medical expert testimony, and a careful investigation into the birthing process, usually on a minute-by-minute basis. Our Phoenix birth injury lawyers have the experience and dedication required to make the cases of our clients.
Learn more about how we advance client cases and commonly retain experts. Call us today for a free, no-obligation initial consultation to learn how our birth injury attorneys in Phoenix can help your case.